The Strategic Teacher:
Harvey F. Silver, Richard W. Strong, and Matthew J. Perini
Grades K-12 $27.95
If we are to rise to the challenge of Making Students as Important as Standards, then we need to ask five important questions:
- What skills do students need to develop in order to achieve at high levels?
- What instructional strategies enable the greatest gains in student performance?
- How can we address the diversity of our students in a way that is manageable and provides an equal opportunity for all students to achieve?
- How can we design units of instruction that motivate learners with different learning styles yet still address the skills and core content knowledge students need to succeed?
- How do schools become professional learning communities that support teachers through the improvement process?
Each of these questions is addressed in the five pillars of The Thoughtful Classroom program, a comprehensive and effective approach to professional development:
The Five Pillars of
The Thoughtful Classroom
Pillar I: The Hidden Skills of Academic Literacy
A concise list of the skills that separate high achievers from low and average achievers
Pillar II: Research-Based Strategies
Sixteen instructional strategies and a set of classroom tools proven to make a difference in student learning
Pillar III: Diversity That Works
A manageable system for differentiating instruction and assessment based on the four major learning styles
Pillar IV: Classroom Curriculum Design
A simple and deep unit design model that helps teachers maximize learning and motivate all students to do their best work
Pillar V: Instructional Learning Teams
Powerful collaborative and coaching structures that make a professional and collegial culture a reality in your school
|Pillar l Pillar ll Pillar lll Pillar lV Pillar V|